Saturday, August 16, 2008

To Put It Into Words

I just finished the book "eat, pray, love" that was the perfect book for me right now. One particular part of the book explained how I feel about having children and put it into words better than I could.

As many of you know I grew up LDS and was taught that the most important role in your life is that of mother. I have always known that my one true, burning desire was to have children. No career, fame, money or travel was even a close second. It wasn't even on the radar except to as a means to raise my family the best way I could.

"To create a family with a spouse is one of the most fundamental ways a person can find continuity and meaning in American (or any) society. But what if, either by choice or by reluctant necessity you end up not participating in the comforting cycle of family and continuity? How do you mark time's passage without the fear that you've just frittered away your time on earth without being relevant? You'll need to find another purpose, another measure by which to judge whether or not you have been a successful human being. I love children but what if I don't have any? What kind of person does that make me?"
-Elizabeth Gilbert eat, pray love

No comments: